Monday, January 18, 2010

Two Weeks Post Surgery...

I've tried to start this post about a million times over the last couple of weeks...all to no avail. I've had such a hard time trying to consolidate two weeks of emotions, perceptions and change into words, that it has taken my breath away. I didn't think that being diagnosed with breast cancer would, or could, change me in so profound a way, that I would ultimately be at a loss for words...so I guess I'll move forward with the facts as I know them.

First and foremost...I will be fine! Twenty four hours after my surgery I received word that the lumpectomy results were positive...or negative, depending on what side of the diagnosis you were on. If you are the patient, it was positive (no more cancer)...if you are the doctor the results were "negative" for any further detection of cancer cells. The "margin" (tissue surrounding the tumor) came back clean and cancer free, as did the lymph node that was removed. So the cancer hasn't spread... (as there was none detected in the lymph node). All good news!

And now, we move into the next stage of my journey...

I have my first post-operative appointment with the "Nazi" surgeon (definition with next blog) who did the lumpectomy and axillary dissection (removal of a lymph node) tomorrow morning. The surgeon will refer me to an oncologist that will guide me down the next path of my journey...post operative treatment. From what I have been able to gather, I will be directed to have five weeks worth of radiation to kill any potential cancerous cells that may have surrounded the tumor (along with any healthy ones that surround it) that still exist. At the same time I will be put on hormone therapy (daily medication) to supress any of the hormones that apparently, my type of cancer feeds on.

I hope I know more once I meet with the oncologist. But right now...I'm thinking that radiation and hormone therapy may not be the road I want to go down. I've always considered cancer to be akin to a virus....it lives in you and thrives only when your immune system is weak, venerable or compromised. With that being said, why would I want to further deplete my immune system with radiation and hormone therapy if all the cancer has been removed and there is no evidence of it having spread???

Food for thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment