Thursday, June 17, 2010

Enduring A Wild Ride...

It's hard to believe that it's been three months since my last post!  And at the urging of one of my "fans" (Jessica you know who you are!)  I thought I'd finish a couple of the posts I have going in order to dull the roar of the anticipatory crowd! 

I really have missed the writing and the thoughtfulness that comes with it...but most of all I've missed the opportunity to document this wild ride.  And in an odd way, this public journal is a gift I give myself...getting to know me with all of you walking along side me!  It gives me the opportunity to look back and see how far I've come since my diagnosis, and how much cancer has changed me.  And ultimately, it gives me the forum to realize how blessed I am!  Because with each word I write, when all is said and done...today... I feel like the luckiest woman in the world!!!  I have what some don't, I know I'm will be cured!!!  And in the process, I have the rare opportunity to learn and grow...

I never thought I'd say this, (and mind you I'm having a good day)...but cancer has turned out to be an unbelievable blessing for me!  I am not unaware how strange that may sound, and don't think for a moment that I haven't experienced some very radical ups and downs!  I've had to endure some unbelievably painful realizations...about myself, and about the people I've chosen to share my life with.  I've had to deal with my own willingness to endure painful procedures, counting on the fact that "standard protocol" would ultimately heal me.  I've had to deal with the financial aspect of a major medical event as well!  Even with the best insurance any employer can offer, the net result is astounding. 

But you know what?  At the end of the day, I know that I will walk away from this a stronger, more self reliant, and emotionally independent woman. 

And you just can't get that in a bottle!!! 

1 comment:

  1. No...you can't. So proud of you, Julie.

    I understand what you mean about it being a blessing, though. As odd as it sounds, Patrick and I feel the same way about his accident.

    ReplyDelete